Hello and welcome back! After getting a ton of questions and compliments on the hardwood-looking floor tile in my husband’s office that I decided to share with you why I love tile so much. We have had everything – carpet, laminate, hardwood, vinyl and tile. I think that covers most of the major floor covering types, and hands down tile is my favorite. In our last house, we renovated the kitchen and living room, opening up a wall and making one large space. We replaced all the carpet and vinyl that had been in those rooms with tile. Every since then I’ve sworn that anytime I replace a floor, I’ll use tile. So, why do I love it so much? Here’s my list.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Please click HERE for my full disclosure policy.
- Easy to clean – No doubt, the number one reason I love tile is because of the ease of clean. Unlike carpet, which I now can’t stand at all, when you clean tile, it’s clean. Like, all the way clean. You can scrub it, scrap it and mop it and everything comes off. No soaking, no staining, no lingering smells.
- Feels cool and nice underfoot – A lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I love the way tile feels under feet. It’s awesome. It’s cool and hard and kind of refreshing. A few people told me I would hate the hard, cold feeling but I think that is a myth. I love it. Plus, around the bed and couches, there are area rugs. I still prefer the tile. We have this fun Spanish tile through a lot of the house and I love the way it feels. Look at those tan lines.
- Cheaper than most – Tile can be expensive, but almost any flooring can be expensive if you buy the most expensive version of that floor. There are some very cheap options for tile – from under $2 a sq ft. The hardwood-looking tile we got for the office was $1.78 per square ft, which is a great price for any floor. The cost with tile usually comes in the installation, but in my opinion, you can install tile yourself. HERE‘s how we did it.
- Water-Resistant – YOU CAN GET IT WET. Unlike hardwood and carpet, it’s awesome for areas that there might be spills, wet feet or doggy accidents. The laminate floors that we currently have and HATE through a large portion of our home – read why HERE, get warped every time a little water gets on them. I know some people have better laminate floors that they love, but I’ve had such a bad experience that I can’t vouch for them at all. Here’s what happened when I didn’t get the water off the laminate fast enough.
- Durable – Tile doesn’t scratch, stain or break very easily at all. We’ve had durability problems with all of our other floors. The laminate warps, edges crack and the stain literally rubs off in places exposing the ugly particile board underneath. Our last house had vinyl in the bathrooms and it scratched so easily. Carpet is just the worst with dogs and kids, ugh. Every spill and accident tells a story for years to come, no matter how hard I clean it. And the hard wood we’ve had warps with water and also scratches easily. Tile can crack, but this is rare and leads me to my next point (#6) Most of the time we drop anything, the thing we drop breaks. We have yet to break a piece of tile in either house.
- Easy to replace one damaged spot – On the off chance it does break or crack, you are able to replace one piece without replacing a whole section. With carpet or vinyl, if a spot gets damaged, you have to replace the entire area or room, whenever a natural break would be. The times I’ve put down tile, I always buy a few extra pieces, then if one does break, you can replace it. Not the easiest, mind you – but it can be done :).
- Now that they make it look like hardwood, it is soooo pretty. The ONLY hangup I had before was that the hardwood had a look I loved, but now they’d solved that problem. There are so many options for hardwood-looking floor tile now, as well as so many grout options.
*click on any picture to go to source – contains affiliate links you can read more about HERE.
Look how pretty this hardwood tile can be!
Here’s a little hint – I picked one of the above for the new bathroom!!! HAPPY DANCE!!
Really, there are so many beautiful options for floor tile, trendy to tranditional. Here are some more funky options – look at that faux brick tile!!!!
So, what do you guys think? Do you love floor tile or hate it? What is your flooring of choice?
Thanks for stopping by!
Why Floor Tile is the Best
Pin for later!