Hi! It’s another month of the Create and Share blogger challenge. This month we were sponsored by Walnut Hollow, who sent us some products to see what we could do with them. Once again my blogging buddies knocked it out of the park. They sent me a plain wood clock, and I made a tabletop clock inspired by a set of clocks at Restoration Hardware. A huge thanks to Stephanie of Casa Watkins for hosting!
This post was sponsored by Walnut Hollow, which provided a portion of the materials. All opinions are my own. This post may contain affiliate links. For my full disclosure policy visit my resources page.
Here is the original product I was sent. A pretty blank canvas, and plenty of places to go with it. Since I recently re-did by bar area, I wanted to have another piece for the space and I figured a tabletop clock would be perfect. When I saw the inspiration set, I knew I wanted to try and recreate it.
It was pretty easy! First I made the clock face in PicMonkey. I added a bit of personalization, so I added the name of our town. I wanted to make it pretty simple, since there is a lot going on in this area.
Next, I found this metal thing a ma bomb at Lowes for a couple of bucks and bought a couple of thin craft boards at Hobby Lobby. I made the base with these pieces. I cut a place out to insert the metal bracket and then used a heavy duty all purpose glue to glue it all together.
Then I cut the sides off the clock base with a jigsaw and sanded it out. I didn’t worry to much about making it perfect, because I wanted it to look like a beat up piece of metal when I was done.
I attached it to the base
Then spray painted the whole thing with some metallic bronze spray paint. I also spray painted the hands black.
It took a while to find the right size circle to fit inside, but I found it in this old movie popcorn bucket lid. I spray painted it with some leftover spray paint (I have a whole closet full of leftover spray paints).
Then used Modge Podge to attach the clock face to the inside. Next, I glued the lid to the clock base and inserted the clock hands and battery. It still wasn’t looking finished. So, I broke out my hot glue gun and glued around the edge. It wasn’t perfect, but that was okay. I used metallic acrylic paint and painted the actual glue and that looked a lot more realistic.
The last thing I did was add some fake rust spots on a few spots. I used different color metallics and just sort of blotted it on. I used some cinnamon to add a little texture.
That’s it for my tabletop clock! I am loving the way it turned out, goes perfect in this rustic/industrial space.
Make sure you stop by and see what all my friends did with their pieces! Some people got wood trays and some people got wood slices. Very cool!
I’ll be taking next month off from the Create and Share Challenge, because I’ll be participating the in the One Room Challenge and I’m so excited about that. More details on that next week!
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my tabletop clock!